Sunday, April 21, 2019

Laundry, laundry, laundry on Easter Sunday


We all do laundry.  Most of us homeowners have our own washer and dryer, while renters often use laundromats.    In summer, I hang my clothes on the line, but in winter I use my dryer.  And that means dryer sheets.  There is nothing better than used dryer sheets. 


They add texture and are FREE.  Instead of throwing them away after they can no longer be used to soften and remove static from your clothes, recycle them into your mixed media art projects.

Materials used (from back clockwise):
Fluid acrylics, colors of your choice
Tap or distilled water
Bristle brush (I use synthetic)
Dryer sheets
Plastic or silicone craft mat to protect your work surface

Paint the dryer sheets with your favorite paint colors.  I use fluid acrylics because they have so much pigment, even after adding lots of water to the paint.

If you use a plastic sheet like I did, you can move the sheets to a safe spot that will allow them to dry.  For me, that was in front of my heater.

Some of the sheets got too much water and needed a second painting.  Others were saturated with color.

Once you are satisfied with the color, assemble your art quiltlet.

I combined hand dyed silk, hand dyed lace, hand dyed deconstructed tablecloth, and a dryer sheet I doubled.  All fabrics were dyed by me and I painted the dryer sheet.  I sewed everything in place using variegated thread.

It was late at night and the lighting was atrocious.  The dryer sheet is on the left and the lace and tablecloth are on the right.

The silk is on the top, the dryer sheet on the bottom.


I finally got frustrated and worked on the embellishments, while waiting for daylight.

This is a much better example of the colors and it shows the completed quiltlet, too.

I was gifted with this grunge board piece by I believe, my friend Chris. I colored it using some of my handmade shimmering mist, but the shimmer is lost in the grunge board.



I decided to hang the hanging, then tried to color compensate.  It makes my white door look yellow.

I thought this was an appropriate image for Easter.






For Day 21 of 22, I started with a used dryer sheet I doubled, then added fabrics and lace I had previously dyed.  I sewed the fabrics together using variegated thread that was obviously new.  I added an image (The Last Supper) I found in a religious book I picked out of my neighbor's trash, and a pull from a zipper that no longer zipped.  I used a piece of bamboo from my yard (obviously free) and a beautiful fancy fiber I received in a swap I hosted years ago.  I attached the bamboo and the grunge board using E6000, my adhesive of choice for these items.

Once again, I am grateful you have found this blog and I am so very appreciative of each of you for stopping by and those of you who mentioned my new blog on your own blog. 

Please be aware, my original blog is still there for everyone to see and leave comments.  However, just like you, I cannot edit, add new posts, or remove spam comments anymore than you can.  I am totally locked out and am working hard to get this issue resolved.

I hope you have a joyous Easter.   I hope it is everything the day means to you.  Save a deviled egg for me, please.

23 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful quiltlet. I'm sure you had fun making it. Happy Easter, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

This is simply wonderful - I love all about this amazing project and the image fits this Easter Sunday simply perfectly Elizabeth!

I never have used dryer sheets in my tumble dryer yet as I never had problems with static but I think when someone uses them it is the most artful way to use them
this way up and bring them to artful life.
Such a amazing project!

Big hugs and happy day and I will add this blog adress to my blogger folloeing blog dashboard now.
Maybe it is the new wonderful Altered Booklover blog for the future! The first two postings sing of wonderful art and love for recycling!

Such an inspiration dear Co.-Admin!
Happy day!
Big hugs, Susi

sheila 77 said...

I love your quiltlet with these lovely warm colours. Great to make it with the lace and "deconstructed" (love this word in connection with a tablecloth) tablecloth and adding the picture from your neighbour's trash makes it even more of a recycling project. The bits of lilac lace peeking out are fun.
I'm glad to see you are rocking your new (temporary so far) blog.
Love from Sheila

kathyinozarks said...

amazing art!! I love this Elizabeth-hope you transfer these posts over to your "real" blog hugs

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great re-use of the dryer sheets. I re-use mine by adding them into my dresser drawers, to add a fresh scent to the clothes inside of the drawers. The scent is faded, but still there. Happy Easter dear Elizabeth and Bleubeard.

Halle said...

That is beautiful.

Darla said...

On my tiny old phone. Just wanted you to know I got your email. How frustrating it must be for you to be locked out of your own blog. I give you 5 stars for continuing tho. Knowing you, I'm not surprised. I'll be by again when I have Internet connection.

Sandra said...

Who would have thought of recycled dry sheets. You are amazing.
So sorry you are locked out. I was a while back and finally figured out it was connected to my email. Do you have more than one email? And/or were you using google +? I know it's extremely frustrating.
Hope you have a Hoppy Easter in spite of the annoyance.

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't have a place to hang clothes out to dry, so I use my dryer year 'round. I've never used dryer sheets. They look like they make a great art material! I love your creation :)

My boiled eggs are in the fridge waiting for me to "devil" them. I hope your blog problem gets resolved soon.

Happy Easter!

RO said...

More cool ideas for stuff around the house, and I love your colors! I use my dryer sheets in drawers to add some extra scent. Nothing wrong with a picture of The Last Supper, and glad you came across it. Hope your Easter is going well, with some chocolate treats! Hugs...RO

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! This is beautiful! I was telling someone today what wonderful recycle artist you are! Here you are proving my point! Happy Easter! Hugs, Chrisx

Eileen Bergen said...

It's a beautiful quitlet, Elizabeth, and just perfect for today. Happy Easter! Eileen xx

WendyK said...

What fabulous colours on your quilt let, I use the colour catchers from my washing machine to sew on. Well done for another recycling piece.
Hugs Wendy

Mia said...

You are the magician of mixed media, Elizabeth. I am really impressed of your imagination and your great skills. You are a true inspiration, my dear friend. Hope that soon you will be able to unlock your original blog. Happy Easter!

CJ Kennedy said...

A beautiful and unique piece. I use a green(er) brand of dryer sheets. Mrs. Meyers. They are made of paper and non-toxic things. After use since they are made of paper, I put them in the recycle bin. I never thought of trying to use them in artwork.

My name is Erika. said...

This is another amazing fabric collage. I use dryer sheets on occasion, and you are right about having a free media source. They look great with the other textured pieces here. You've had a really successful April with all your recycled projects. Hope it was a happy Easter. Hugs-Erika

Marfi-topia said...

so glad to finally be back here. I have missed your creations so much! I'm SO excited about using the dryer sheets in my art!!thank you for the idea.
We use a lot of recycled items in our art.
Helena and I almost always cut up any cardboard boxes that come through here:rice,cereal,cocoa.. I especially enjoy reusing salt and oatmeal boxes.

I hope you are able to get back into your blog soon. Thank you for the ideas and for starting this new blog so we can all keep enjoying your lovely artwork.

Jenny Woolf said...

How creative to use dryer sheets! Your artwork is beautiful. I'm sorry to hear about blogger locking you out. It's such a flaky site, always something annoying happening. Hope it's fixed soon.

Linda Kunsman said...

This is so beautiful. I love the colors, layers, that zipper! and the glorious image. Thank you for sharing the dryer sheet technique. I do use them in my art but never thought to dye or color them in any way:)

craftytrog said...

A fabulous project Elizabeth!
I hope your blog issues are soon sorted.
Alison xx

Jeanie said...

I really love the colors on this one, Elizabeth. That orangey pinky color is just so spring!

I hope you had a good Easter and that your blog issues settle soon.

Lowcarb team member said...

Love the colours and also I think the image is wonderful and so appropriate for Easter.

Hoping you can solve your blog problems soon.

All the best Jan

Meggymay said...

A beautiful quiltlet, the colours are lovely and it is another super recycling idea.
Yvonne xx